Humantay Lake is an incredibly stunning place situated amongst imposing snow-capped mountains that form part of the Cordillera in the Andes. The majestic, snowy Salkantay and Humantay mountains thaw, giving birth to the splendid Humantay lake. After your visit here, you will never see nature the same way again. The flora and fauna will be perfectly preserved in your breathtaking photos, and your body will thank you for the 100% pure oxygen.
We will pick you up from your hotel at 4:30 am in our van to head northeast of Cusco where you will be provided with blankets and a brief explanation about the trip. While traveling along the route, we will pass through different towns until we reach Limatambo (Valley of the Flowers). From this point, we will ascend towards Mollepata. On the way, we will stop at the viewpoint of Markahuasi in order to observe the archaeological remains named after the point. The bilingual tour guide will enamor you with detailed information about the ruins before we continue our journey that will take us through an estate which was once owned by one of the former presidents of Perú, David Samanez Ocampo. We will then arrive to the village of Mollepata where you will enjoy an appetizing American-style breakfast at the Salkantay House which is adorned with an incredible view. From there, we shall continue our journey by car to Soraypampa. During the trip, the guide will point out indigenous flora and fauna and provide information on the local customs. Upon arriving to the starting point of our hike in Soraypampa, our guide will explain the correct way to walk at those heights, the total time of travel and the distance that will be covered. You will also be provided snacks and walking canes to assist you during your trek. The hike lasts about an hour and a half, and at its conclusion you will arrive to the beautiful crystal blue lake which is surrounded by the breathtaking snow-capped Humantay and Salkantay. After a short rest, we will return via the same route until we reach Soraypampa. Once back at the Salkantay House in Mollepata, you will have the chance to enjoy an excellent Creole buffet lunch. To conclude the tour, we will visit the Salkantay House museum before returning to Cusco.
- 4:30 hotel pick-up
- 4:45 departure for Mollepata
- On the way, we will pass through Limatambo which has a cozy, warm climate.
- From there, we will continue until we reach Mollepata, passing by the archaeological ruins of Markahausi, Andean Inca terraces and a variety of crops.
- A small stop at the estate once belonging to David Samanes Ocampo (former President of the Republic 1930-1931)
- Arrive to the town of Mollepata (2,900 masl). This town is named this due the amount of the Molle plantations.
- American breakfast (eggs to order, homemade bread, fruit salad, juices, teas and more) at the Salkantay House (with a stunning view)
- After a delicious breakfast, we will continue to Soraypampa while observing the gradual changes in the ecosystem.
- We will arrive to Soraypampa, the starting point of the hike to Humantay Lake.
- We will begin with a small ceremony to the Apus or the “Guardian Mountains”.
- Enjoy the turquoise-colored waters upon our arrival to Humantay Lake (4,100 masl)
- Visit to Humantay Mountain followed by a short break
- Return to Soraypampa – Mollepata
- Creolo-style lunch buffet
- Weaving demonstrations and guided tour of the museum in the House of Mollepata
- Return to the city of Cusco
- Arrive to Cusco by 5:00 pm.
Included/ Not Included
- American breakfast
- Creole lunch
- Professional tour guide
- Walking canes
- First-aid equipment
- Entrance tickets